National Rural Health Day (NRHD) is an opportunity to celebrate the “Power of Rural” and highlight the positive efforts of health care providers, communities, and organizations working to improve health in rural Americas. The theme this year is "Innovation in Rural Health Care Delivery".
Available resources from National Rural Health Day 2023 include:
- Recordings of events;
- Federal investments nationally and state-by-state;
- Infographics describing how HRSA’s investments have been used to address the most pressing issues in rural health;
- Videos showcasing the work of grantees of the Rural Communities Opioid Response Program;
- An episode of the Exploring Rural Health podcast with the CEO of the National Organization of State Offices of Rural Health, the org that started National Rural Health Day back in 2011.
HRSA National Rural Health Day 2023 Agenda
Thursday, November 9th, 2023
2:00-3:00pm ET: Improving Access to Health Care Coverage in Rural Communities with Medicaid and CHIP (Registration Required)
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)
CMS and partners discuss strategies to enroll more people living in rural areas in health insurance. They discuss ways to improve health equity and show the importance of building partnerships. They share tools that support outreach and enrollment.
- Darci Graves, Office of Minority Health, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
- Alexa McKinley, National Rural Health Association
- Hailey Gutzmer, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
- Beverly Lofton, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
- Porter Novelli, Connecting Kids to Coverage National Campaign
Wednesday, November 15th, 2023
2:00-3:00pm ET: How Does the Definition of "Rural" Impact Research? (Registration Required)
Rural Health Research Gateway
Learn about the importance of rural definitions and how those definitions impact research.
Presenters answer the questions:
- "What should I take into account when determining rural definitions for my research study?"
- "As a non-researcher, what should I look for in rural definitions when reading a study or brief?"
- Dr. Janice Probst, Rural and Minority Health Research Center
- Dr. George Pink, North Carolina Rural Health Research and Policy Analysis Center
2:00-3:00pm ET: Growing Rural Healthcare Workforce: Recruitment and Retention (Registration Required)
United States Department of Agriculture
Learn about programs to better grow and sustain the health care workforce in rural communities. Hear about creative approaches, best practices and tools to support recruiting and retaining the rural health workforce.
- Ben Anderson, University of Colorado School of Medicine
- Mike Shimmens, 3RNet
6:00-9:00pm ET: HRSA Virtual Job Fair for Rural Communities (Registration Required)
Bureau of Health Workforce, HRSA
Job Seekers: Register now!
HRSA is hosting a Virtual Job Fair on November 15 for rural health care job seekers. This event connects health care professionals with representatives from 50 health care facilities serving rural communities across the country. They will promote job vacancies for rural health care facilities ONLY.
Thursday, November 16th, 2023
11:00am-12:00pm ET: HRSA KEYNOTE EVENT: Federal Rural Partners Webinar (Link will be posted at 11am ET on Thursday, November 16, 2023)
Join HRSA and rural leaders from across the federal government to discuss innovations in rural health care delivery. Learn about federal programs that promote new approaches to increase access to health services for patients in rural areas. Moderated by Tom Morris, Associate Administrator of HRSA’s Federal Office of Rural Health Policy.
- Humberto Carvalho, Substance Abuse Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
- Darci Graves, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)
- Diane Hall, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Peter Kaboli, US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)
- Kellie Kubena, US Department of Agriculture (USDA)
- Benjamin Smith, Indian Health Service (IHS)
3:00-4:00pm ET: The Power of Rural in Action: CDC and State Strategies for Rural Health (Registration Required)
National Organization of State Offices of Rural Health (NOSORH)
Centers Diseases for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
The presentation explores state and national strategies to improve the well-being of rural Americans. Hear from the newly established CDC Office of Rural Health about their mission and vision. Learn about successful case studies from Texas and Virginia.
Diane Hall, CDC Office of Rural Health
National Rural Health Day 2023 Links and Resources
Why do we celebrate National Rural Health Day?
Since 2010, the National Organization of State Offices of Rural Health set aside the third Thursday of every November to celebrate National Rural Health Day.
National Rural Health Day is an opportunity to celebrate the “power of rural.” We use this day to highlight the unique health care challenges that rural people face. Then, we show how our programs and policies, and the efforts of our partners and stakeholders, help address and reduce health care disparities in rural communities.
The Power of Rural in Action: CDC and State Strategies for Rural Health (Registration Required)
The National Organization of State Offices of Rural Health (NOSORH) is pleased to announce this year’s National Rural Health Day event!
Join on November 16, from 3:00-4:00pm ET, and get ready to be informed and inspired as we explore strategies at both the state and national levels to enhance the well-being of rural Americans. Hear directly from the newly established CDC Office of Rural Health about their mission and vision. Plus, don’t miss inspiring case studies from the field featuring transformative work in Texas and Virginia.
- Key Messages & Data Points: The Key Messages & Data Points resource is made available each year to educate various stakeholders on the realities of rural through stories and data. Though the statistics and facts presented in this resource do not tell the whole story, they are essential to understand when developing policies and programs that affect the health of rural communities.
- Listen to the RHI Hub Podcast: Exploring Rural Health: The November episode of Exploring Rural Health highlights National Rural Health Day (NRHD) and its history. A NOSORH-recognized Community Star will discuss their work on mental health and substance use disorder in rural South Dakota.
- Visit Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) Rural Health page to learn more about they have met the needs of rural, Tribal, frontier, and geographically isolated communities
- White House Fact Sheet
- RCORP-TA Blog: Celebrate National Rural Health Day on November 16, 2023!